Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thing #15 - Web 2.0 & Library 2.0 in the future

The teachertube video created by Michael Welsh and Kansas State students in the Introduction to Cultural Anthropology titled, "A Vision of Students Today," was very thought provoking. The students make very valid points about how teaching often still occurs as the "sage on the stage." Since technology has changed so many other facets of our lives, making them much more interactive, our ways of teaching need to change also.

I know that I need to do a better job of making sure that students are practicing what they need to know for the real world and being applicable, appropriate, relevant for their education journey. Note: This is REALLY difficult when teaching students with varying levels of language proficiency who are also in elementary school.

Michael Stephen's comments about How to sharpen skills for Library 2.0 are interesting. I like what he has to say about avoiding technolust, yet embracing what we need to have great libraries, including time to learn and play with the web 2.0 "toys."

Dr. Wendy Schultz' comments "To a temporary place in time... On the way to the library experience of the future" provide an exciting way to think about the library of the future: as the Knowledge Spa.

I also read George Bishop's post titled "A Ripple Effect: A rural school district shows how one new service in 1992 put in motion a steady wave of library support." Because of connections with my previous school, I hope that this article will be helpful to my successor at Cushing. Additionally, Bishop's attitude of complete service rings true.

In exploring the Wiki article on Library 2.0, the article mentions that Michael Casey was first to write about Library 2.0 in his Blog, LibraryCrunch. So, just for fun I looked at his blog. A recent post included pictures of a new library that opened near/in his home town. I really liked the looks of the library, especially the children's area murals; the calm, yellow color scheme on the walls; and the reading porch outside! http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelcasey/2518786969/in/set-72157605232877462/ I hope that our new SBISD libraries that will be built soon will incorporate the same enthusiasm and hospitality.

I also read Chris Harris' article in May 2006 SLJ, titled: "School Library 2.0". I appreciate the comments about the article in the Wiki, but I liked his comment that "building a coffee bar next to the circulation desk" isn't what he's talking about. I also may adopt his idea of putting "Library Powered" stickers on things I do to increase the visibility of my services.


I was also exploring other School Library 2.0 aspects on the internet, and came across some images in Flickr Graphics for the Library 2.0 Meme By Bonaria Biancu & John Blyberg that related visually to library 2.0.

David Warlick's post at 2 Cents Worth on Library 2.0. gave some helpful ideas for beginners to start using 2.0 tools (if you haven't done the 23 things!)

This has been very informative! Hopefully I can continue learning about these ideas. I want to find more concrete examples of how to implement 2.0 service.

No comments: