Saturday, August 8, 2009

Thing #7 Video Resources

The fair use video & FAQs were helpful, but it took me a little while to digest this. (Could be that I'm not back in my librarian brain after being on vacation & away for quite a while,) I think that teachers and students may be confused somewhat about how this works legally, but I will use these resources to try to explain it to them, though it might be helpful to have a book...

I've looked at Ms. Frazzled blog on this topic, and enjoyed the interview videos she posted about Tomie DePaola and Mo Willems. (I couldn't embed the videos either...) I want to share these with students & I think they will really like them! What a cool way to be able to bring in a author!

In Hulu, I found the Biography channel, and upon exploring it, found a video about Amelia Earhart. I think that when 2nd grade is learning about various heroes, including Earhart, that this would be fun to show them so that they can see her as a "live" person, not just someone who is another dead person they have to learn about.
http://www.biography.com/video.do?name=historicalfigures&bcpid=1740031454&bclid=1745181015&bctid=1718499309
(I tried to embed this and couldn't remember how. Hmmmm, I'll try to work on remembering this.... LATER: I watched the YouTube video on embedding videos, and biography.com does not seem to permit this. You can link to it, but not embed it, so... here it is.)

I really liked Joy Valenza's list of video sources, especially NeoK12 with it's categories of videos that have been screened to be appropriate for school settings.
One of the videos that caught my eye was one on the water cycle. I know that several teachers will enjoy using this. (I'm trying to remember which grade level works with this, and I think that it's 3rd grade.)




I explored DotSub a little. I will let our Spanish langauge teachers know about it's existence, but it didn't seem to have very many educational videos. (Maybe I'm not looking in the right place....)

Totol was interesting - seemed appropriate for PK - 1st grade. When my son was much younger he would have enjoyed all of the train videos.....

At TeacherTube, after some searching, I found a video that would be appropriate for upper elementary grades studying magnets.



All in all, this was a fun way to spend the day, and I look forward to doing more of this!!!!

No comments: