Friday, August 7, 2009

Thing #6 iTouch Apps

Since my husband is addicted to his I-Phone, I am fairly familiar with what an I-Phone can do with the various apps he he frequently showing me.
What I've learned over the last week or so of playing around with this project is some of the things that other educators are doing with I-phones/I-touches. I still think that the management of these will be somewhat challenging, but I am less skeptical about their use in the education setting.

One of the most useful websites I discovered was the appism webstore so that you can search for I-touch apps on an actual computer. Just for fun I downloaded pictaslide since I always enjoyed sliding the little boxes around to complete a picture. On John's I-Phone is several ed apps that our kids already use, like the math flash cards that my daughter loves to use to "play" at learning addition/subtraction facts, and my son will use to work on multiplication facts.

Since my son is enrolled at Cornerstone this year and his teacher is one that is getting new I-touches for their class (among other things), it will be interesting to see what/how his class is using and managing them.

I've read several of the articles and watched the I-School video that was really exciting. I really liked the articles, 100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better, and the ACU ConnectED Summit 2009, as well as Chris Webb'space article Why an iPod Touch in education? I'm looking forward to using these cool devices in helping students learn.

No comments: