Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thing #3 Like Skype

I read quite a few of the articles about conferencing. I liked Kathy Schrock's post: Tools for Schools: Live Online Conferencing Dim.Dim sounded very interesting - much like the video conferencing that I did eons ago when I worked on my Master's degree.

I tried working with Skype some, but didn't have a lot of success. However, I think that if I played with it more extensively, it could be very useful. I have a friend who uses Skype 3-4 times per day to communicate with her husband as he travels extensively.

So, the question is, how could Skype be used in the classroom or library? I saw many suggestions about being able to communicate with other classrooms from all over the world, I liked the many suggestions at the Teaching Degree.Org Blog: 50 Awesome Ways to use Skype in the Classroom:
For my school The MIXXER: A language exchange community for everyone seems like it would be a new way to get English Language Learners to work on their language skills.
Setting up conferencing with authors when classes are studying particular writers could also be a lot of fun.
There are many ways to do use this technology, the key is to find an opportunity and do it.

No comments: